Wow (Autism parents take note)

by: twurts - Feb 10, 2013

Pros: Great great staff and instruction set up

Cons: I'm sure they exist but I didn't find them this trip

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2013

Autism Parents and Parents of typical kids take note: We went to Blue Mountain yesterday with my boys Boy Scout Troups (Malvern 7 and Malvern 77 (special needs)) and we had an AWESOME time!

When we arrived, it was chaos in the lobby. I hadn't been on skis in 9 years since our second son was diagnosed autistic and all of my own skiing was out west so I was more than skeptical and the scene the greeted me upon arrival was reinforcing latent skepticism. Trying to keep the boys settled in the line up to rentals was a trick but the computer system was easily navigated.

Once into the rental areas, the staff were wonderful and helpful and we succeeded in getting boots for the boys, I had brought my own along. At the ski area Rob was completely mellow and helpful getting the boys and myself sorted out with proper skis and fitting for them and finding me some short parabolics and fitting them to my boots - I didn't actually expect to ski just wanted to be able to get on the snow and provide support for my sons.

We were late vs when we were told to be at the school area but the counter staff was wonderful. They provided an escort for my typical 11 y/o who they took off to the Explorers program. This an amazing well organized program with it's own area and lots of instructors. The methods and techniques are great and our son had a ball and was well on his way to being a skier after the morning session. Sarah there was kind enough to take some picts and video for me with my iPhone which was great as mom was sick and stuck at home.

The REALLY AMAZING thing that happened was that I had booked an "adaptive certified" instructor for our son Kirby in their adaptive program. Kirby and I were met by Sheri Miltenberger who immediately set me at ease with her confidence, ready smile and report that she was raising twin boys on the spectrum about Kirby's age. Kirby took to Sheri immediately and off they went. By the end of the morning Kirby was gliding down the slope. The adaptive instructors also work in a cordoned off area which is very well equipped.

And the ultimate gift, the gift of time, came my way when Sheri said "go ski, you don't get too many breaks to yourself raising kids on the spectrum". I was actually able to take a couple of runs myself and guess what? I can still ski as badly as I did nine years ago!

Great job Blue Mountain. We will be back!