Great Snowmaking But Poor Service

by: MinnesotaBuckeye - Jan 30, 2012

Pros: They make the most of their terrain

Cons: Service and facilities need work

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2012

I'm a regular at Mad River, due to my kids' participation in ski club. It's a decent midwest ski hill, with above-average lift capacity, first-class snowmaking, and perhaps the best night skiing in Ohio.

In Central Ohio, Mad River is popular with the riders. As a life-long skier, however, I find better snow, slopes, service, and kid's lessons at nearby Snow Trails. That aside, I think Mad River is a solid #2 for Ohio skiers.

Today I have a little quibble with Mad River, however, which is the reason for this 2-star review (for an otherwise 3-star place). My son and I arrived for a evening of skiing and had an "oh heck" moment when we realized we forgot our poles! So when we presented our season pass at the counter to get a lift ticket, I asked if we could just rent poles. The ticket woman said that we'd have to purchase two full rentals, just to get the poles.

Not sure why I was surprised, but I was thinking that they just might help out season-pass holders who (doh!) forgot their poles. To her credit, the woman did find a discounted Sunday rate for the adult rental, but the kid rental was full price.

At the end of the evening, knowing that I would be writing this review, I decided to give the rental-return worker one more shot at customer service. So I returned the poles and asked if they've ever considered having a rate for folks that don't need the whole rental package. He replied (while keeping his back to me and only turning his head slightly) "nope, if you need poles you gotta pay full rental". He then nodded his head to the pole bin -- presumably for me to put away the equipment for him -- and went back to chatting with the other rental workers. A solid 2-star performance that cemented this 2-star review.

Mad River is lacking in other areas as well, such as food quality, cafeteria service, and overall helpfulness from chalet workers. But I'll be back because its convenient and Mad River still puts a premium on their terrain and lifts.