Busy, busy, busy

by: loricipheran - Dec 14, 2010

Pros: Decent terrain for Ohio

Cons: Crowded

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

Boston Mills is where I learned to ski, so I will always enjoy visiting there. However, I find that I don't visit it very often. There is one main reason - except on weekdays, the place is usually packed.

The crowds affect every aspect of your experience there. The hills are pretty good by Ohio standards, but the lines are long and the lifts stop frequently, especially once school clubs are using the area. The snow conditions are often poor - not only is the heavy, damp lake effect snow prone to getting icy, it also just has too many people skiing on it. And because the lift lines are so long, many people give up on waiting and just stand around at the bottoms of the hills socializing - a frustrating and potentially dangerous situation. The lodge is also crowded. It is often impossible to find a seat in the upstairs bar.

When I go to Boston Mills, I often find myself spendiing most of the day on Croyle, a decent hill whose lift line is not prone to getting as long as the others. Tiger is the steepest hill, but it is often closed because of lessons meeting at the bottom, and the lift line servicing it is often ridiculous.

If you are like me, your job usually prevents you from getting to Boston Mills on a weekday. Here is one hint - on weekends, the final hour before close is fairly quiet. Boston Mills is a good area, but it is a victim of its own success.