St Sorlin d'Arves

by: yorkie81 - Jun 16, 2009

Pros: Endless runs and great snow

Cons: Quite on a night, not much to d (but I knew this before I booked

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2008

The French ski resort of St Jean d'Arves (in Savoie) is part of the Les Sybelles Ski Area with access to 127 individual pistes. In addition to the skiing in St Jean d'Arves itself (20km of pisted ski runs), the appropriate ski Lift Pass will allow you to ski or snowboard in the other Les Sybelles ski resorts of Albiez Montrond, La Toussuire, Le Corbier, Les Bottières, St Colomban des Villards and St Sorlin d'Arves.
The ski resort itself is above 1500m, so skiing or boarding back to the resort is usually possible. With skiing above 2000 metres, snow cover is generally reliable.
There are three airports within two hours drive, so ski weekends, snowboard breaks and short ski holidays to St Jean d'Arves are perfectly feasible. Chambery Airport is just one hours drive away, in good driving conditions, so you can be on the piste quickly.

We visited St Sorlin in March 2008 and found it to be an amazing place to ski / board. St Sorlin first introduction to ski brochures was in 2008 and so we knew it would be extremely quite with not many Brits about and that why we choose this.
St Sorlin is a beautiful little village containing a few bars and restaurants with a great French feel to it. We stayed on the mountain side so we were able to ski virtually to our apartment door.

At the start of the 2008 season they commissioned ski lifts and runs connecting St Sorlin up with 5 other resorts. We made a habit of skiing to a different resort every day to have lunch and sample the different runs.

I personally found the run to La Corbier very enjoyable.

I class myself I an Intermediate / Advanced skier and beginner / Intermediate snowboarder and my wife a beginner / Intermediate skier and we found the ski area to challenge us both. We tried to ski every run in the 6 days but only achieved about 80%. The slopes were very quite and the snow quality was top class.

The resort itself was nice, consisting of a few bars and restaurants. We staying in a self catering apartment so we tended to go out straight from the slopes and have a few beers at the bars by the mountain side then get takeaway.

I would recommend St Sorlin to everyone who wants to go and ski / snowboard for the whole duration, but if you’re looking for nightlife I would book either Le Corbier, Les Bottierer or La Toussuire. These resorts are much larger with good bars.

Summary
St Sorlin is a hidden gem and is a great ski resort. It will challenge any skiing / snowboarder. The runs are endless and the snow quality is the best I’ve ever experienced.

I would be happy to go skiing here every year.