St Gervais skiing

by: armo85 - Dec 27, 2008

Pros: Great for families and beginners

Cons: Not for clubbers!

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2008

We've been to St Gervais three times now and are going back again in February. We've also skied in Les Arcs. The ESF ski school accommodates all levels and we've found the teaching effective and good fun too. My daughter was only four when we first went and loved the Jardin de Neige and the well supervised kindergarten. I'm a nervous skier, so love the never-ending green run Chateluy and treat myself to a hot chocolate on "Freddie" and take in the amazing views whilst my more daring family find the reds. You don't even have to ski there - the Gondola lift will take you. St Gervais is a lovely village with plenty of restaurants for all tastes and pockets - but your won't find many (or any) night clubs. You have to try Reblochon - a big round of cheese you melt at the table. I would recommend staying in St Gervais itself - although there isn't snow there - it's within walking distance of the restaurants and ski lifts - otherwise you'll be using your car a lot. The snow begins proper in Bettex - 5 minutes away.
We enjoy skiing down into Megeve - the village is worth visiting too. Your Evasion ski pass gives you enormous freedom and in 3 years, we haven't exhausted all the possiblilites. Contamines has a few good runs - a tricky blue and a good red. This year we intend to try St Nicholas. Further afield is the Mont Blanc tunnel with easy access to Italy. The Tramway de Mont Blanc departs from St Gervais too. There's the famous St Gervais spa nearby and big supermarkets at the bottom of the mountain in Le Fayet. However, you can get everything you need in St Gervais and a bit more besides. It's like Christmas everyday!