by: Kattia - 30th August 2010

Mountains
Impolite, rude, vain staff

Megave has beautiful mountains surrounding it and good for skiing. However, I found myself in the most idiotic, pretentious place in Haute Savoie or even all of France. Staff in shops were unhelpful - because I was not French? For god's sake - English is a universal language. People cannot help but speak English. Not everyone knows French. I have travelled to many places all over the world and people from there all speak English. French people have to accept this and just get over it and be friendly for once. OK, tourist may have a reputation and not know the etiquette of French dining, etc. but please, it should not be an excuse to be rude, unkind and impolite. My friend did attempted to speak French but failed miserably. This was in a shop selling antiquites, materials and stuff made in India but claiming to be Austrian/French style. The staff did not help at all and pretended not to understand anything at all. How rude and unhelpful! I stood there and watched this and could not believe it. The staff laughed and sneered. I think they were jealous of us but they lost business from us. We would have bought things but did not even attempt to buy anything after the snobbiness. Full of people desperately trying to look wealthy whatever their age!! débarras au revoir et bon! There are better places to ski and enjoy life than with a lot of unfriendly people trying desperately to live like Austrians! :-)