by: Ian-England - 26th September 2008

Off Piste to La Grave
Small

There are some really good red/black runs here, but after 3 days, you will have covered them all. One of the best day's skiing I have had was down to La Grave. The skiing was only red/black level, but you are out on the mountain on your own. You really need better directions than the piste map given away at the top. We thought we were lucky on a clear day not to find ourselves on cliffs (to the left of our piste), and if the cloud came in, I would imagine it could be dangerous. The woods at the bottom were a chore as well. Off piste guide (sold by Facewest) provided excellent information on both La Grave and on some other easy off-piste options in 2 Alpes. For beginners, the resort is inverted compared to most French resorts (i.e. the best blue slopes are at the top). This does mean that the beginners get good snow, but have a long journey home, involving lifts, at the end of the day. Don't know anything about lessons or about night life. I don't go skiing to drink expensive beer, and sleep through the morning.