Flaine - better than I expected

by: Sal Black - Jan 22, 2009

Pros: Compact, well designed, great snowy bowl

Cons: Some bottle necks on lifts and pistes

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2008

I visited Flaine twice in two weeks and liked it a lot more than I exopected, people had said it was ugkly but the architecture I found quite dramatic and significant rather than either the cheap 1960s blocks you get in a lot of French resorts or the bland American style developments of the past decade. Not pretty but not boring either!

All facilities on and off the slopes were a short walk away. That meants we could get to bars, cadfes and shops as well as things like the bowling alley in just a couple of minutes from our appartment and likewise we didn't need a bus to take the few short steps to the high speed, queue-gobbling chairlift up the mountain.

Lifts radiate out in all directions as it's sat in a huge snowy bowl - from the top of which you can ski down to traditional valley resorts like Morillon on one side or you have great views over to Mont blanc from the top. There's also an incredible long black, about 10km long I think, down to Sixt. So really there's a vast ski area that could keep you busy all season.

A few times we got held up on lifts getting back to Flaine and some runs were crowded that linked different sectors of the big ski artea (Grand Massif) but i gather they are improving those over the next few years with new lifts and runs, some already there since my visits. And Intrawest have moved in (the lot behind whistler) so they must think it's good too!