Beginners Experience

by: Bigacito - Jan 27, 2010

Pros: Proximty to Charlotte

Cons: Very difficult place to learn to ski

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2009

Was there December 26 and had a lesson before trying to ski. Got lucky and there were only three of us in the class while I saw some classes with nearly a dozen members. However the small class was not much of an advantage because the bunny sloop was incredibly crowded. Between the various classes, as well as people trying to learn to ski, there was almost no room to practice. I think I am like most beginners and the thing that causes me to crash the most is coming too close to other skiers and the fear of knocking them down makes me hit the snow first. This happend over and over again, as I would try start down the slope and find I could not turn left or right without hitting another beginner or a line of ski school students. And when you took the conveyor belt up, the least steep slope down (important to a beginner) took you straight into the area where the advanced skiers were flying down the mountain. It was very scary to have them wizzing by you as you tried learn to stop.

Maybe on a non-holiday weekend it would be better but to be honest, the bunny slope was so small I think the place would have to be deserted for a newbie to be comfortable learning to steer and stop.