by: rwdaven - 31st December 2009

Close to Asheville, NC
Poorly managed

My family arrived at 10:30 AM on 12/28/2009 and found a long line to buy lift tickets. Fortunately they had another line for cash only payers. It took about 30 minutes to get out on the slopes. I tried to upgrade my pass to a two day pass at about 4:15 PM but the ticket line was closed (early). I asked the manager about upgrading the pass and he said the ticket line closes at 4:30 and I would have to wait until 6 PM to upgrade my passes. He did not offer any help when I pointed out that it was not yet 4:30 and that the ticket window had closed early. He did suggest arriving by 9 AM the following day to "beat the crowd". Tuesday, 12/29/2009, we arrived at 9 AM to find a long line of frustrated people waiting at the single open lift ticket line. There are three ticket windows that could be utilized for the holiday rush period but are not used. I had my wife wait in the open line and I went to the cash only line in case it were to open. I asked several staff about when the cash line would open and no one had any idea. The cash line finally opened an hour later. I could have driven a little further to Boone and skiied at a bigger resort in the time I had to wait in line to get tickets and skis! The slopes were fair but poorly managed. Ski patrol were there on Tuesday but I did not see any on Monday. The lift lines entry points were treacherous for beginners and the loading points were too low. Fortunately, I am an advanced skier but I felt sorry for others who were just learning to ski. The lodge is rudimentry at best. There is not a place to hang coats so they get piled on tables. Consequently, a child accidentally spilled a coke on two of our ski jackets. The food is mediiocre. The staff is poorly trained and just there. No one knows anything you ask. The whole operation is poorly organized. Don't bother buying lift tickets online either. You still have to wait in the ticket line with everyone else to pick up your ticket. I talked to some locals who have season passes and their own equipment. They do not have to wait in lines, except for lifts and food. Something to keep in mind if you live close enough to take advantage of the pass. There are no no hotel accomodations nearby except for the large cabins near the slopes. We stayed at the Comfort Inn about 15 miles away. It was very nice and I would recommend it. I haven't been to Sugar or Beech in many years (I prefer western skiing) but I would rather try those resorts next time. I do not intend to return to Wolf Ridge.