by: MichaelC - 7th January 2008

Sugar is a great mountain for skiing. Reading other peoples reviews I find they are complaining about staff friendliness, long lines, snow conditions and slow chair lifts. It's easy to complain and get annoyed, when you have to wait in line on busy days, but I really appreciate the fact that I can jump in the car and be skiing in under 3 hours from Charlotte,NC. What I like about Sugar is that they open early in the season and the snow making is impressive. I skiied Sugar on the 17th November 2007 (see photo below) and condition were wonderful with no lines at all. It's important to watch the weather and webcams to make sure you are going to have good snow conditions. www.skisugar.com has a great live video webcam so you can see the conditions before driving up. I was going to ski there early December, but after visiting the webcams it was easy to see that the snow coverage was not good at all, so we cancelled the trip. It's true that the lifts may be a little slow, but to be honest I think we are all getting spoiled, we need to be grateful that we don't have to use tow rope or button lift. I skiied Sugar again on December 21st and 22nd, conditions we decent expect for the rain, slopes we not crowded at all. I skiied again on Saturday, January 5th 2008, the snow was wonderful and up until 12:00 there were no lines, from 12:00 it did get very crowded, but I was expecting that. That is when I skied the Big Birch and Big Red slopes, which has very short lines. The main yellow lift had a 10 minute wait and the slope was crowded, but with the right attitude and expectations it was still enjoyable. If you don't want lines stay away from weekends and holidays.