Read other skiers' first hand reports from North Carolina.

Displaying 46 - 60 of 1527 First-hand Reports

Sugar Mountain Resort +
posted 25 day(s) ago by ducktowndawg80

Great day on the slopes Sunday, 4 chairs was the longest line.
posted 26 day(s) ago by That local skier

Sunday was my first time to sugar this season. Best NC conditions I've seen this year. New "Gunther's Run" is best run in NC. Reminded me of a short "Cup Run" at Snowshoe. Runs always go slower at Sugar due to crowdedness and slow lifts but they now have best NC slopes in my opinion
posted 26 day(s) ago by iPhone

Windy Sunday. Very, very few lines. Longest time spent waiting was about 8 minutes, avg. wait about 3 minutes. Whoopdedoo, Tom Terrific, and boulder dash were great in the morning, however became icy around 2 or so, due to wind, and the snow was skied off. On whoopdedoo, there were big chunks of ice on the trail, but other than that it was pretty good. The diamonds aren't too terribly difficult, although they are great for the south. If you are trying to decide between sugar and beech, spend your money at sugar. Also, Gunther's way was a great run, never icy, even when the blacks were icy.
posted 26 day(s) ago by craiggilbertson8

packed granular, a few icy spots. Full capacity in the afternoon with long lines for the lift but, lifts are timed so the slope was not overcrowded and there is ample room to roam around without fear of collisions. Expect spring type conditions, as snow is man made and groomed. Significant natural snow, is rare, and if you are not too picky you will love Sugar! All staff were very helpful and responded quickly, but we're not Disneyland style friendly.
posted 26 day(s) ago by ckling2000

Conditions were very good. All runs were open and the lines were short. Very little ice. Coming from a Colorado/Utah skier.
Machine Made
posted 26 day(s) ago by kdrchuck

Good conditions and short lines in the AM yesterday. If you don't like waiting and ice, get out of bed earlier. Impressed with Sugar.
posted 26 day(s) ago by donald.colwell

The high speed quad went down yesterday and people were stuck on their for over 2hr. Think that they make enough money that thay would get it fixed.
posted 27 day(s) ago by iPhone

"High-speed" quad broke down Saturday right at 5. The only other way up the mountain is a double which can only hold 1 person per chair, and runs at a snails pace. The lines were terrible all day, got about 10 runs in 5 or so hours. Snow conditions were average. We asked for a refund, but they would only offer us 24 dollars, a fraction of the 144 we paid to ski. Probably my worst ski experience ever.
posted 27 day(s) ago by Duane's iPhone

Could this be the worst resort in the US? The lifts are badly outdated and under maintained. Today the quad broke down (it is not a high speed quad) stranding people on the lift for hours. The only other lift servicing the summit is a double and it only works by skipping every other chair.
posted 27 day(s) ago by iPhone

The main quad lift is closed! Long lines… really long!!! Night skiing almost done.
Sugar Mountain Resort +
posted 27 day(s) ago by iPhone Jim

Awesome day on the slopes. The lift lines were perfect and the conditions amazing before 1:30. Got a little crowded for the afternoon but at that point we were wiped out anyway. First time skiing here and I will certainly be back. The vertical drop beat any place in the Poconos, Pa.
posted 28 day(s) ago by zinfandave

What were the times on lift lines on Sunday? Is the high speed Quad working reliably?
posted 28 day(s) ago by marcus.c.eason

Today exceeded my expectations of snowboarding on the East Coast. Have lived in the West for the last 8 years and have had a major mountain in my backyard to to ride every year. I was a little skeptical at first when someone told me about this mountain but thought I'd ride up and give it a shot I'm glad I did. Really beautiful blue Bird day I didn't expect any fresh pow but there was a man made Pow the runs were short and fast but it cured my itch my for getting on my board I'll definitely be back
Cataloochee Ski Area +
posted 28 day(s) ago by Edward Howard’s iPhone

Snow feels awful Icy I'd much rather be at sugar mountain! My school did a trip here so I have no choice They were making snow and it makes it very difficult to see.
Corn Snow
posted 28 day(s) ago by craiggilbertson8

I can't believe you spend 2/3 of your time riding the lift......just crazy. Until they enclose the mountain they are subpar.

Displaying 46 - 60 of 1527 First-hand Reports