by: Scott Cooper - 21st March 2014

Few crowds, nice views from the top, quick lifts
Resort winding down, amenities closing

I took my family up here on Spring Break looking to get in about 3 days of skiing. the weather was beginning to warm up and some of the slopes went from sloshy in the day to icy at night. Some other days we got snow and the slopes stayed cold and were great for skiing. Overall, I like Beech much more than Sugar, since the lifts to the top are much faster and there is much less traffic on the mountain. Skiing sugar is like trying to ski at the mall, there are people everywhere falling down, cutting in front of you and stopping. Beech is pretty much wide open and has some fun runs. Beech mountain has much better prices too! It appears that by Spring break many visitors have opted to start doing other things, and the resort is getting pretty slow. I was disappointed that the base area was pretty much shut down in lots of ways. the bar and grill was closed, the ice skating rink was shut down (when I went), they did not run several lifts during the day and night, and the resort was pretty much only running the cafeteria. However, I understand considering the lack of activity and paying skiers. The bar at 5,506 was really cool, although it shut down at 6 pm when I was there. The views were great, and the skiing was good. I got up early on Sunday morning and found several really nice groomed runs. However, I moved over to the next run and discovered it was un groomed, and it had turned into a blocky, icy mess. I un hooked my skis and walked down most of it. Overall, if you go during Spring break be prepared for few crowds, wide open slopes, and have the mountain mostly to yourself. Although be warned that they had stopped making snow, the grooming schedule was slowing down, and many of the restaurants in and around the resort seem to be only open during the weekends, I have skied Ober Gatlinburg, Cataloochee, Sugar and Beech, and Beech is still my favorite.