Cataloochee Ski Area Review

by: bodyflight - Jan 23, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 23, 2008

As has been said, avoiding Cataloochee on the weekends is a must! During the non holiday weekdays it's considerably less crowded. On weekends, you can't even SEE the snow for all the people waiting in lines! If I can't park in the first lot, I prefer not to go. Walking from the car to the lodge is quite a trek and precariously slippery in boots and even shoes!

The lift lines aren't well organized, the lifts run slow and the slopes are few. If you take the first lift you see, you'll end up at the top of a black diamond; they are poorly labeled. Only one lodge, long ticket lines, high prices and the rental equipment is poor at best (good thing I have my own gear now). Its probably not the worst, but it is the worst quality resort I've ever been to. I do intend to make it back at least once more... some year when they open the "meadow" on natural snow, since they aren't setup to make snow on what I think looks like the coolest slope they have!

I'd skip Cataloochee in favor of Wolf Ridge for beginner to intermediate if your in Western North Carolina. Even Ober Gatlinburg in TN is better, on their busiest day!

I'm an intermediate skiier, just past the beginner stage.