Cataloochee Ski Area Review

by: fleet - Jan 22, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 22, 2008

I took the kids up here this past weekend for thier first attempt at skiing. And they loved it. The hill is perfect for beginners, with the "carpet lifts" to start out with. It was crowded in the early afternoon when we started but quickly cleared after the 4:30 day pass ran out. We had arrived from Atlanta around 1:30 pm (3 hour trip) and it seemed sensible to get the twilight pass so the kids would have more time on the slopes if they liked it. If you go here with beginners walk to the right hand side its a better hill then the one on the left (more room and longer "run"). Once they got the hang of it, and were in control and making turns we tried the triple lift on that side. The operators slowed the lift for us and we got on and had some fun runs.
It was definitely worth the trip from Atlanta and we are certainly going to return.
The kids enjoyed skiing so much that when we went to Tube world the next day they were like I want to go skiing. Thats not to bad mouth Tube World because we did have fun, its just Skiing is so much fun. Another quick word about Tube World is they have set times ever two hours starting at 10 am so if you arrive at 10:30 your off the sled hill with everyone that started at 10, so you kind of short change yourself.
I quick word about Maggie Valley. It seems its more of summer/spring resort town. Alot of things were not open, and restaurants closed early on Sunday or weren't open at all. We eventually ate at Smackers which is kind of out of town, but it was good. We had breakfest at Joey's Pancake house and that was excellent. We are going to check it out this summer, kids want to see Ghost town and I want to stop at Harrahs Cheerokee since you have to drive right by it, but thats another story.