by: anonymous_user - 3rd January 2007

We picked Cataloochee for our ski vacation because we were looking for a small place where my kids could learned to ski. I was a little worried about the snow since I've only skied in the west and have always heard of the much more icy conditions in the east. Little did I know that the snow was not what I should have been worried about. I have never seen such crowds! The first day we tried to ski we stood in line for over an hour to sign up for ski school but had to leave since we missed the start of the class. The next day we tried again and this time got in line at 8:15 for a 10:00 class and barely made it! The first day we skied my daughter had to were one size too large boots since they were out of her size. The second day she got skis that did not fit her boots, went back and got them replaced only to have them fall off in the lift 3 times because they where not adjusted properly for her boots. We went back to get them adjusted properly only to find a line that went out the door waiting for ski rentals so we just left the equipment and left the mountain. We found that some of the people working there were very nice but then others were extremely rood! It almost seem that the were angry that we were there! At times the lift lines were around 30 minutes long! Twice an out of control skier slammed into the line taking out several skiers and countless times crashed just short of the line. It was chaotic. The view from our cabin was beautiful but the town of Maggie Valley is less than attractive. I love to ski, I love to snowboard and I have been doing it for 20 years but if this had been my first experience skiing, I don't think I would have ever gone back.