by: gilbert4 - 14th February 2010

great instructor, friendly staff; affordable package
green slope steep; difficult transition from bunny slope

This was our family's 2nd time ever skiing....two 40+ adults and two teenagers. (We had gone to Sugar Mtn 6 years ago and learned very little in the 30 minutes alloted to our instruction). Anyway, had always wanted to try skiing again and the 'drive, slide and stay' package was a marvelous incentive. So, we went to the lodge not knowing what to expect, having had a less than stellar experience at Sugar. All the staff were very helpful from the people who signed us up for lessons and lift tickets to the equipment staff. Still, the best thing about the whole trip was our instructor, Justin. He was with us for an 1.5 hours, teaching us with examples as well as words. We were lucky to get him both days we were there, but from what we noticed from other instructors with other people, they were all very good with adults and children alike. We all hit the 'green' slope the 2nd day.....my husband and son loved it, my daughter managed it a couple times....I'm not as physically adept, so I stuck with the bunny slope after the first attempt at the green slope, but am very satisfied that I can successfully turn, stop and get on/off the magic carpet without mishap. It is unfortunate though that the green slope 'beginner's luck' is so steep and is at the bottom of more advance runs and with a gully on one side and the fence separating skiiers from the lift on the other it requires a bit more skill than one might have fresh from the bunny slope. I wish there had been another less daunting run as a step up, but there is no helping how the mountain is shaped. The road to the resort was well kept and is maintained by the resort instead of the city. The lodge food wasn't appealing, but we packed a lunch anyway, so that was no problem. As part of the package we had a nice little cabin @ twin brooks resort with a full kitchen and didn't have to eat a single meal out, though there were plenty of restaurants available. The availability of night tubing was a big plus as we were too busy skiing during the day. Definitely plan on skiing again!