Two yellow double center pole chairs flank a relic tower from the old Thunderbird Chair at the base of Summit West at Snoqualmie. The tower stands in tribute to the first double chair in Washington State. For many Seattle area families, that tower represents part of their ski history, and this March the Summit at Snoqualmie is celebrating its 75th anniversary.
Skiing on Snoqualmie Pass officially launched in 1937 when the Snoqualmie Summit Ski Area opened with a rope tow. Shortly after World War II, Snoqualmie became the second ski area in the country to operate night skiing with gas station lights providing illumination.
Over the years, several ski areas opened adjacent to Snoqualmie: Milwaukee Ski Bowl (Hyak) in the late 1930s, Ski Acres in 1948, and Alpental in 1967. While some of the ski areas changed ownership over the decades, Booth Creek Ski Holdings purchased all four ski areas in 1997, combining them into one area interconnected by buses and trails.
Today, under the lease of Boyne Resorts, three miles of trails connect the three ski areas known as Summit East, Summit Central, and Summit West. Located in a nearby spur valley, Alpental retained its original name. The Summit at Snoqualmie, the official name of the four ski areas, also operates a large tubing hill near Summit Central and night skiing at Summit Central, Summit West, and Alpental.
The Summit at Snoqualmie plans to celebrate its 75th anniversary on March 24, 2013. The party will feature a barbecue lunch, scavenger hunt, and live music. A pond skimming contest will pit the brave against a pool of cold water, and lift ticket specials will be available.
For more information on the anniversary event, go here.
Summit at Snoqualmie, WA
Mar 24, 2013
old employees, families, new skiers