The North American Telemark Organization, founded and run by Dick Hall, began its life in the counter-culture but has been around so long as to have become mainstream. That's not meant as an insult, but as a simple statement of fact, and recognition of its success and popularity.
NATO has been around for two decades, and has helped more than 40,000 people learn the fine art of turning in free-heel gear. Hall's organization, based in Waitsfield, Vt., runs a season-long series of primers, workshops, adventure tours, and telemark camps.
The schedule for the rest of the winter:
- Jan. 9-10, Telemark Workshop at Mad River Glen and Camels Hump, Vt.
- Jan. 16-17, Workshop at Wildcat and Tuckerman Ravine, N.H.
- Jan. 23-24, Workshop at Whitegrass, Timberline and Canaan Valley, W.Va.
- Jan. 23-24, Women Workshop, Mad River Glen and Camels Hump, Vt.
- Jan. 30-31, Workshop at Bromley Mountain, Vt.
- Feb. 6-7, Workshop at Mad River Glen and Camels Hump, Vt.
- Feb.. 6-7, Workshop at Black Mountain and Whitecap Mountain, Maine
- Feb. 13-14, Adventure Tour, Whitegrass Ski Touring Center and Dolly Sods, W.Va.
- Feb. 13-14, Adventure Tour, Mt. Mansfield and Camels Hump, Vt.
- Feb. 13-14, Workshop, Belleayre Mt., N.Y.
- Feb. 20-21, Bumps and Trees Workshop, Mad River Glen and Camels Hump, Vt.
- Feb. 27-28, Workshop, Bolton Valley, Vt.
- March 6-7, Workshop, Wildcat and Tuckerman Ravine, N.H.
- March 6-7, Workshop, Elk Mountain, Penn.
- March 13-14, 35th Annual NATO Telemark Festival, Mad River Glen, Vt.
- March 20-22, Telemark Camp, Gulf of Slides, Mt. Washington, N.H.
- March 20-21, Adventure Tour, Mt. Mansfield and Camels Hump, Vt.
- March 27-28, Vermont Secret Trees Stash Clinic
- April 5-9, Telemark Camp, Chic Chocs, Gaspe, Quebec
- April 16-21, Telemark Camp, Ruth Glacier, Denali, Alaska.
Workshops cost $190; adventure tours cost $250; the Gulf of Slides Camp costs $325; the Chic Chocs Camp costs $875, and the Ruth Glacier Camp costs $2,400.
More information. Or call 802-496-4387