It's a big year for both Stratton Mountain and the Burton US Open. The legendary event is ramping up for its 30th anniversary and returning to a resort celebrating 50 years of sliding on snow. This is going to be all time. So grab your board, some friends and a cowbell, and grab a spot next to the fence for a killer show of progressive snowboarding, March 5-11.
This event draws tens of thousands of spectators annually to the slopes of Vermont, and it's no surprise why. The Open has been the proving grounds for countless snowboarders who have gone on to become pros of international fame. And during this one action-packed week, they return to Vermont and competition that helped them find their calling.
Photo Courtesy of Burton Global Open Series.
Here's a rundown of what you'll find at the 2012 Burton Open.
- Top snowboarding pros from around the globe compete in halfpipe and slopestyle, including Shaun White, Kazuhiro Kokubo, Iouri Podladtchikov, Louie Vito, Mark McMorris, Danny Davis, Scotty Lago, Sebastian Toutant, Kelly Clark, Hannah Teter, Enni Rukajarvi, Jamie Anderson and Gretchen Bleiler, to name just a few.
- Late-night entertainment with live musical acts including hip-hop superstars Method Man (of Wu-Tang Clan) and Redman (of Def Squad).
- The Washed Up Cup, a retro-themed ‘slingshot’ race for legendary Open competitors on Friday night.
- Night Jam, an invititaional event hosted under the lights, Saturday night.
- Junior Jam competition for young riders. This event that helped jump-start careers for pros like Hannah Teter, Jake Blauvelt, Pat Moore and Luke Mitrani, so don't skip out early. This is a chance to glimpse the next generation of pros who will be lighting up the X Games and Olympics in years to come.
Plus plenty of entertainment and activities throughout the sponsor village all week long. For a complete schedule of events click here.