by: Matt - 20th January 2009

Great in the afternoon when things soften up
A transition from learner to beginer slopes deserves critical evaluation

As learners, we didn't really get the full Mt. Hutt experience but what we had was great. We got our gear from Big Al's and it was really good stuff. Stayed at Ski Time lodge which was beautiful in the brand new villas, great restaurant and lodge as well. 1st day up there was a white out, we thought nothing of it though, we thought it must be normal. We had our lessons, I was boarding and my GF was skiing, she had a great teacher, very patient and cheerie. Mine was terrible, she was constantly getting frustrated with me and treating me like I was a know it all (shouldn't have said I was a skateboarder), I was just so stoked to have my feet strapped in, must have looked carelessly over excited or something. Anyway, ended up never returning after the lunch break, just figured things out for myself over the remainder of ther day. Oh, and skateboarding will not help u learn - It will impair u if anything... 2nd day was beautiful and clear, we couldn't believe the difference to the previous day. hit the learner slopes some more and made the decision to get on the lift for the first time up to highway 72. BAD IDEA! I couldn't handle it at all, constantly on the breaks. it's quite thin and really busy so as a beginner u wanna stick to the inner edge away from the drop but when I was forced to break on the bs edge I couldn't get it right and ended up wiping out and fracturing my wrist 3/4 of the way down... it sucked. was only wearing a wrist pad on the right hand (my bad hand from years ago) and then do left. The medics up there great. I rented a left wrist pad, strapped up FIRM and gave the learner slope a test which worked out well, so I was able to get back out there and start from square one. I learned well nursing my hand, I couldn't afford to spill again and by being patient and careful, I didn't. 3rd day was beautiful and another great day of learning. No more lifts. The place was shut for the next 3 days so never made it back again. We thought it would wreak the holiday if we had closures but having a hire car, we decided to adventure around in search for the open resorts which ended up being sooo much fun. NZ is the best place to go on driving adventures so it was a bonus if we found an open resort. Mt. Dobson and Porter Heights were what we found and they were great as well. Methven is very boring so make sure u get a hire car to get to other field when Mt. Hutt shuts, and it definitely will. We'll definitely go again soon.