Horrendous conditions and a very ill managed resort

by: ecedede - Feb 3, 2013

Pros: Close to New York

Cons: Uneducated staff, unprofessional management, bad ski conditions

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2013

I went to the Windham mountain for the first time today. I swear to God I will never go there again... Of course I knew that this would be pretty much like a bunny hill but I was at least expecting the same quality of staff and management as Hunter, which is only half an hour away from Windham. Windham is probably the worst managed skiing resort in the world. Starting from the locker area which is like a mad house, nothing in the resort is worth 73$ a day. The staff barely realizes that this is a skiing resort and that people are there to ski. The lifts have not been updated since the late 1980s and the pistes which could potentially be ok in fantastic snow conditions are no where near barely acceptable under a bit of wind. What is quite sad is there is some hard core artificial snow making machines which are blowing quite a lot but because the management doesn't have the brains to even groom that snow so that it is distributed enough to cover the tracks to a bare minimum, one can find rocks and huge water ponds in the middle of the tracks.

In terms of the conditions today- Snow conditions were horrible. It was ridiculously icy and you could see rocks everywhere. There were a few tracks which should have been closed down for safety purposes.. Even though I agree with the other reviewers that the black pistes were in better shape than the blue, it was the worst skiing I have ever had in my life. (And I have been skiing since I was 5, and am 34 now, so you do the math..)

I would recommend Hunter mountain 100 times over Windham. Of course the double diamond tracks in West Hunter are quite impressive given this is the East coast but Hunter management is also much more experienced and professional.