Whiteface Mountain Resort Review

by: anonymous_user - Jan 8, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 8, 2008

Whiteface is undoubtedly a challenging mountain. I'm a middling intermediate skier and I was able to handle all of the intermediate terrain on the mountain but every trail was a workout for me. As we were driving to Whiteface, we heard a commercial on the radio for the mountain that says something to the effect of, "Other resorts say our blue squares should be black diamonds. Well, we thought their green circles were the parking lot." The suggestion that the terrain ratings at Whiteface would be upconverted at other eastern resorts has merit so if you're not very comfortable on intermediate terrain eslewhere, don't try it at Whiteface. By the same token, if you're an intermediate skier, don't be put off by reviews that claim only experts can ski here. If you stick to the groomed blues, you should be fine.

The on moutain dining options at Whiteface were mediocre but the view from the mid-mountain lodge was quite pretty. The apres skiing options are wonderful as Lake Placid is a quaint and vibrant town and in addition to the various eating/drinking establishments, there are many olympic venues to check out.

I probably won't rush back to Whiteface every weekend but overall it was a good experience. Despite some ice and other less than ideal conditions, the moutain and surrounding area were beautiful. I would visit once a season provided there was relatively warm weather and I was up for a challenge.