by: pj - 31st December 2010

• Nightlife
Ideal conditions, friendly crowd and staff, amazing mountain
It can get windy and cold up top.

Our family arrived at 8am Dec 28 and were on the slopes by 8:30 after getting rentals. We go a couple of times a year, mostly Thanksgiving or Presidents day, but this time for Christmas Week. Four or five runs down the lower mountain to get our ski legs back and then off to our first lesson. We had a group of 8 and only worked on the lower mountain, a bit of a disappointment. Drills on basic technique. The instructor focused on turning and staying off the edges in between turns. We had lunch at the base dining area which was crowded, but we found a table. We spent the afternoon skiing from midstation down the upper and lower valley as well as the Lower Boreen. We discovered the Silver Glades in between the main and kids campus and my kids had a blast there !. I did half and exited at my first opportunity, despite their encouragement. Day two arrival was 7:45 and we were about 20th on line at the Facelift. The grooming was perfect and we were the first down. I let go a little with no one else around and the wind was ripping at me like I was a kid again. Not so much as a bump. This time I completed the glade knowing that I would never live down not doing it. The second lesson with a different instructor only had my family and 1 other. We did one run on the bear, then up the facelift. This guy was very technical about 'inside the boot toe pressure' which showed me how to gain greater control. Finally a gondola trip to Little Whiteface. We worked on 'high leg - low leg' drills. Skiing down from there was quite the adventure. I'm happy we had an instructor. Conditions were awesome this time around. It was a little crowded at times, but the previous 2 days had upper mountain closings due to wind, so there was some pent-up demand. All and all, a great trip! Maybe some photos on another post !