Get time for a great value!

by: dvc - Feb 14, 2011

Pros: Inexpensive, Night skiing, Easy to get to, Great Restaurant

Cons: Lack of trail markers, No beginner trail from top to bottom

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

I live VERY close to this resort, so my wife and I go there regularly. We are beginner-level, so my report is from that pov. I give it 4 stars overall mostly because it's 5 min from work and it offers night-skiing until 9pm on weekdays with $17 lift tix from 4p - close on Mon & Tues ... oh yes!!!!!!!

The bunny hill is gentle and wide and has a cool magic carpet ride, which was a real trip for me (I'd never even seen one before :D) We always start out there to test the snow and get our legs ready before moving on.

Other than the bunny hill, this is a tough mountain for beginners. The next level is the Terrain Park with is definitely NOT beginner level (it's blue-intermediate) so it has been a tough transition for us to get off the bunny hill, however, we are now finally (with still the occasional fall) able to get down it. There is also no way to get from (either) summit to (either) bottom without going on blue trails, so that is yet another big challenge for us. We have do it 3x, tho, so far (with a few falls... some on purpose when we felt we are starting to go to fast!)

Taking the lift to the summit is a tricky ride also ... the double lift from the base lodge to summit is two chairs with a bar in between... it's a bit tricking to load properly. The other to chair lifts (Terrain double and second summit triple) are easier, however all of these lifts run FAST! The terrain operators saw we were having trouble on our second day there, though, a did slow it down when we loaded .. thanks guys!! :)

The rental shop is nice, the equipment is all in good shape and the people are friendly and helpful.

The restaurant (upstairs) however is my favorite part! We always take a break for a drink and appetizer after an hour or two to warm up and recharge for more skiing. On Wed nights they have a singer / guitarist who is always very enjoyable to listen to. And the staff is all very wonderful ... here's a shout-out in particular for Ingred the Barmaid.... Hi Ingred!

If you live in the Albany / north region or come up to Six Flags Great Escape / Indoor Water park (higly recomended!), you definitely will enjoy a visit here (there is a shuttle bus to the mountain available to guests.)