I'm A Pretty Patient Guy, But...

by: gma1970 - Apr 13, 2009

Pros: Close For Those Close To It

Cons: Terrain, Facilities, Lift Capacity, Mountain Management

Recommended For: Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

Please don't run an event you don't have the capacity to support. I made the mistake of going to Thunder Ridge on a day they were entertaining Girl Scouts. The place was so overrun, the day was a disaster for the Scouts, the ski area (unless measured by no other yardstick than short-term revenue. In case management is at all concerned, this review, my refusal to ever spend another penny at your hill and my discouragement of anyone owning skis from ever doing so would be known as long-term consequences.) and, certainly myself. I heard one mother bemoaning her daughter missing a lesson after spending an hour and a half in line renting equipment. I myself spent 15 to 20 minutes in lift lines to ski terrain I can only describe as strange. The hill is more or less split in half with a flat ridge running through the middle of what really amounts to 2 different 300 vertical foot pitches. It was mid-January. If half of thier terrain was open, that's a generous guess yet, they were more than happy to charge full boat, mid-winter ticket prices. Oh wait, it was mid-winter, they just hadn't bothered to make much snow yet. If you happen to be local (like, in the parking lot local,) go check it out. If you are coming up from somewhere South of Patterson and don't feel like driving to the Adirondacks or Greens, do yourself a favor, get in your car an hour earlier and at least make the Catskills or Berkshires. I myself am only an hour away and am not going back. Close does by no means indicate convenient in this case.