by: loricipheran - 4th February 2011

Hills have a lot of "personality"
Not too steep, grooming can be sketchy

Being slightly farther for me than Peek'n Peak or Cockaigne, and not as large as Holiday Valley, I don't tend to visit KB as much. But that is not to detract from the quality of this place. Considering its close proximity to Buffalo, I am surprised that it is not busier than it is. Crowds are a major frustration of mine, and one of the first things when I am deciding on which ski area to visit. One trait of KB's hills that I really like is that they have "character." No, they are not very steep, but many of them have fun little dips and variations in contour that make repeated runs worthwhile. Coal Chute has to be about the most entertaining green run I have ever seen, with its gully that almost passes as a natural halfpipe. Snow-wise, I have found KB somewhat lacking. I have been there on some days when they are running the guns on open runs. In my book, if you have to make snow during the day, don't advertise the runs as open. Who likes skiing through an arctic sandblaster? I have also seen days where many open runs were so torn up that they weren't remotely enjoyable to ride: neither smooth nor with well-developed moguls, just bumpy and tracked-out. A little extra grooming, please? Overall, though, I like the runs, and that makes up for the snow conditions. And for what it's worth, I like the beer selection that is available at the bar.