Ladies Day Recommendation

by: Lester - Mar 3, 2009

Pros: Proximity to New York City - 2 hours from Tappan Zee!

Cons: I couldn't find a Hunter Mountain postcard!

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2009

I'm a new resident of NY, and finally set time aside to get out of the City to find snow! I love skiing but had been sucked into Broadway, Bars and Restaurants every spare moment. When it was time to get my skis out, I was not disappointed with my decision to trek to Hunter Mountain.

I visited Hunter for the first time on a fantastic sunny and warm winter day! I was lured to the mountain because of word of mouth - that it was close to NYC and they made snow, so conditions should be "okay". Conditions were great - I found well groomed trails with hardly anyone on them. Acres and acres of white snow with perfect blue sky. The scenery is amazing, and who doesn't love skiing when you ski down and get right on the lift! (Afterwards I was told this was a "busy" Wednesday for them....wow....)

I purchased the ladies day package (every Wednesday) which is practically giving the mountain away! I checked into the Kaatskill Mountain Club located at the base of the hill . Not only did it have ski in/ski out privileges, I enjoyed a complete suite with fireplace overlooking the Catskills. My package included a day of skiing,(rentals had I needed them) a ski lesson, a voucher for lunch, the room and a massage for under $200 (taxes in!) What a great getaway! I wish I would have had a ton of friends to enjoy the amenities, but quickly met them at the mountain!

The bar at the hill is a great gathering spot apres ski, and I was lucky enough to meet the humble owner who bought me a libation or two. He continued to market the other seasons and great concerts, camping and festivals that were coming up - making this a great four season getaway!

As I wound my way "home", I quickly learned that people hang at the hotel bar as well as it was packed! Many regulars gathered there for the great food and cheap beer!! Wing night platters were only $5.00. This is definitely a place to enjoy during a recesssion!! You don't feel guilty for indulging at all because you can totally keep things on a budget.

To finish the night, there's nothing better than grabbing your suit and enjoying a night under the stars looking at the moon and the hill while soaking in an outdoor hot tub. They also have an outdoor pool and steam room.

The next morning I had a great Shiatsu massage to limber up my muscles, and hit the slopes again. My only disappointment was that I had a commitment back in the City at 6pm, and so I couldn't ski past 2pm! It was a great mid-week outing though, and I would definitely recommend it.

The town looks fun for exploring and I'm told there's a lot of great restaurants. For March they have a crazy special (based on double occupancy) that you get a great room and a day of skiing for only $79 per person!! I can't wait to find a friend and head back there before the snow melts and the bears wake up!

Definitely one of the highlights of my time in New York!!1