by: Nick Park - 20th November 2010

It's fun
Trails are too short

I liken HV as a bigger Peek'n Peak. It's got a lot of variety and it isn't too challenging / overwhelming. I don't know the lift or trail names, so bear with me. I'm a solid intermediate skier, and can ski the whole resort pretty easily, with the exception of the Wall - the first 100 yards or so of this trail was a steep sheet of ice, and the whole trail was very narrow with the lift columns going through the middle. You don't have much room for error. The lift lines could get long, and the attendants weren't the best as organzing them, but as long as you stay in the singles line, it wasn't too bad. There terrain features were pretty good - I'd never been in a half pipe prior to coming here, nor have I had the opportunities to hit so many jumps. And the mogul area they had was plenty long enough to really challenge me (definitely not a bumps skier, but I'm trying to learn). In addition, there was an almost skicross-like trail that wound through the woods that was a blast (by far my favorite trail). There are a few areas that flatten right out such that you better be able to skate well, but otherwise it was a good place to go.