Ridiculous trip!

by: GnuStreet88 - Mar 12, 2009

Pros: HUGE variety, loads of trail space

Cons: Very crowded weekend due to racing, lots of bare spots

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

Recently took a trip to Gore Mountain, and WOW did it live up to what I've heard about it, from a terrain perspective. It was very crowded on this occasion, but there was racing going on so that would seem to explain it. Since it was relatively late in the season, we saw many slush patches, and to my surprise, loads of bare spots on the mountain. Slightly disappointing, but a challenge nonetheless. Lift tickets were among the highest priced I've seen, but that was for good reason. Food and drink, however, seemed fairly priced, and from what I could see, were well prepared, especially given the throng of customers.

The run variety made it possible for snowboarders (and mostly skiers) of all difficulties to enjoy the mountain, and from what I hear, Rumor is the "steepest in the East", which from looking at it, I believe. Needless to say, I'm not THAT proficient a snowboarder yet. The black diamond runs kept my hands full, I didn't need to be stupid by going double-black. Though I did say the mountain was crowded, the slopes themselves were not so bad, due simply to the enormous number of runs available. Everyone kinda fanned out, so the really crowded parts were only lift lines and at the base area. All in all, a great trip, and I certainly recommend it for anyone looking for a challenge.

We stayed nearby at Lake George, but since LG is mostly a summer destination, almost everything was closed for the season, which definitely put a crimp in the nightlife and eating options up there. Not too sure about the area right around the mountain however, since we didn't really hang out there.