by: anonymous_user - 27th November 2007

As a parent who skis alone with 2 younginz, Catamount is the perfect destination. Other mountains as close to my L.I. home are nowhere near as user friendly. The Kids' learn-to program is of Smuggs' quality at half the price. If you're looking to ski more often on a limited budget you need to give this place a try. No slopeside lodging is a problem, but it keeps the crowds away +++. Only 10 minutes away, in Great Barrington, you can find value priced national motel chains (eliminate the chancey local inns). There are decent restaurants in town, and a movie theater. The on-mountain food is limited, but is that really what you come for? At this value, there's enough mountain to keep an intermediate adult interested while the kids learn, and that's what it's all about. I came for two short trips last year after trying 3 larger resorts. Needless to say, I bought seasons for the three of us this year. Being so close and at this value, we can ski every weekend instead of taking 2 or three more expensive trips, on bigger mountains they'll barely see. Your kids may outgrow Catamount after a season or two, but while your there, it'll be well worth it.