Much better than I expected

by: jlucey - Jan 30, 2011

Pros: Runs with some character, close to NYC

Cons: only 1000 ft vertical, lodge isnt so nice

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

Considering how close by it is (about two hours from NYC), I was expecting terrible snow, boring trails and massive crowds, but i was very pleasantly surprised. The trails have some interesting aspects to them which separate them from the average run (try the runs turnpike and upper turnpike, these were my favorite on the whole mountain). We went for a day trip on a saturday in peak season and the size of the crowds surprised me. The lines for the lifts seem long at first but move very quickly, and although certain parts of the mountain are somewhat crowded, certain parts off are very empty with now crowding at all. The only problem with the mountain itself is its size. Once you get going on a run and your really enjoying it, you find yourself back at the base of the mountain getting back in the lift lines. But that is expected for a place so close to home, and a compromise I'm willing to make for such enjoyable skiing. I didn't get such a good look at the terrain park (because we didn't want to waste time getting park passes), but it appeared as though it was mainly jumps with only a few rails and other features thrown in there. It was a very kid-friendly place, good for families with small children. The lodge is alright, but its very small so when lunch time comes around it gets crowded extremely quickly and its near impossible to find a seat, the food is pretty good though. All in all, if you want to go skiing but you cant make it up to Vermont, I would definitely recommend Catamount. Its the only place I've ever skied in Massachusetts, so I'm not sure how it stacks up to Jiminy Peak or Butternut, but it certainly beats CT skiing!