by: Tony - 8th March 2011

Wide trails, good teaching, great value
old lifts, old bathrooms, poorly laid out lodges

I've been skiing and boarding with my sons for years in 7 different mountains. Belleayre is clearly a favorite for many reasons. For beginners the trails on the lower half of the mountain are very wide and well groomed. The upper half of the mountain has more challenging trails and the extreme right side has nice trails too, like Deer Run. We also seem to always find conditions good at Belleayre. Last year we left Windham because the trails were very icy, when we were there, and then tried Belleayre the very next day, and conditions were excellent. They seem to always be making snow at Belleayre, when other mountains like Jiminy peak hardly seem to be making snow Belleayre has the snow runs running. The teaching is very good at Belleayre. Both my sons switched from skiing to snow boarding at Belleayre and had very good teaching experiences there. I always use private lessons (we hate group lessons) and were very happy with the results. The lifts ticket prices and teaching costs are a good value at Belleayre. Skiing is an expensive sport, but this mountains has the best prices. The food is good at Belleayre, as far as cafferia food goes, but the the lodges are poorly laid out. The lower lodge has long cafferia tables jammed so closely together that its hard to walk around and somewhat annoying. The upper lodge is a maze of small sections, stairs, side alley tables that make no sense. The lifts are old, and when my son was very young he fould the lifts annoying. They do not slow down like new lifts do and it hits small children right in the middle of the back, so be prepaired to lift and help your young kids under 8 years old. The bathrooms are old and could using some upgrading. If you want good skiing, a good value, and good conditions Belleayre is the place to go. If you want new lodges and lifts then you will not be happy here.