by: k Hutchison - 3rd January 2010

easy drive from ABQ or SF
Theft, bad snow, bad food, overzealous ski patrol

In my first two visits to this ski area, I saw one man standing at the racks who's skis had just been stolen, and then my son's snowboard was stolen. When I asked about stepping up security (video cams, etc.) the management was very unconcerned and didn't seem to care. So be warned...bring a lock or risk losing your stuff here. This area is close to town and thieves drive up and nab your gear. Also, they open up the upper mountain way too early. Full of rocks, roots, and grass. Not too often you fall and get up with grass sticking out of your boot. And there is really only one blue way down from the Millenium chair (the good half of the upper mountain was closed) So everyone had to keep to a crowded, rocky corridor. Both my skis and my daughter's will need a full tune (they were freshly done prior to this). Thanks, Santa Fe. And bring your own food. WAY overpriced, even for a ski resort. Also, I've been to 11 different areas in NM, Colo., Utah, and Montana and never been whistled at, followed, held-up, told to slow down like at Santa Fe by their Barney Fife style ski patrol. Those guys are total kill-joys. I'm into safety, too, but come on, let us enjoy the mountain, please!