Bit of a surprise

by: pomonasi - Jul 15, 2009

Pros: Dry snow and reasonable food

Cons: Flat terrain and not-so snowboarder friendly

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2008

I was visiting some relatives in New Mexico in December and thought it would be cool to check out some of the resorts around the area. The resort itself was very close by, about an hour away from Albaquerque (hate spelling it). Anyways, snowfall was not so good this particular time but in all fairness, it wasn't good in Southern California as well (my hometown). BUT, the snow that was there was very dry and quite enjoyable though. I am used to man-made snow that we have here around Mt High and Big Bear resorts so it was a plus. I can't speak of their park because I couldn't find it (if they have one that is). The runs were pretty nice EXCEPT for those areas that were completely flat! These areas were obviously for skiers who would be able to simply push across. For a snowboarder like me, it was just annoying to unstrap and walk across. Other than that, the runs were good and not crowded at all even though it was during peak season.

The food they had was reasonable in my opinion. I am used to seeing/paying $9 for a burger in SoCal. So, seeing $5 for a bowl of soup or a hamburger was a bargain price. The food was pretty good (loved the green chili they had) and everything else was pretty reasonable. I'm sure if you had a family, it would be better to pack your lunch rather than spend that much money to feed multiples.

All in all, I would DEFINITELY come back whenever I visit New Mexico. Very close by, reasonable prices (I think lift tickets were around $40 ~ $45 in December), and nice slopes. One thing that was really annoying: snowboard straps. The lift attendants would not allow us to get on unless we had those snowboard straps that tied the board to our boots. It was a surprise that they still had these requirements. Not too big of a deal since they had these for sale and the lines were very short. Definitely worth the visit as long as you are not expecting Mammoth / Lake Tahoe conditions!