Great for Beginners

by: xtine - Feb 15, 2012

Pros: friendly staff, decent food, shuttle

Cons: lots of kids, crowded

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2012

My fiance and I drove up here last weekend (Saturday), took us a little over an hour from east ABQ. I'm definitely a beginner, but he was more advanced than I am, but we both decided to get the Beginner Passes so he could help me out. They have a really nice bunny hill with a conveyor belt lift so you can practice. I had only gone snowboarding once before, so it took a while for me to get used to it and to get enough confidence to get off the bunny hill and onto a green. Getting onto the lift is easy, and the lift staff are very friendly. They will talk to you and give you some very helpful pointers. The snow was nice, not icy at all, and not slushy despite it being a very warm day.

The only bad things I have to say about this place is that there are TONS of kids (well, tons of people in general). We did go on a Saturday though, so I guess that is expected. Going down the green was tricky because people were just stopped right in the middle, lots of them, and as a beginner, it was a little difficult to maneuver around them. I'm sure once you get off the beginner green, it will be less crowded.

Overall, I had an amazing time, we are heading back there this weekend and probably next!