by: jseksie - 7th January 2009

good value, family oriented
road to ski lodge, too crowded

We decided to try Ski Apache because of the location (close to Texas) and value. Our first day of skiing was the day after Christmas. It was EXTREMELY windy. We had a private lesson with Ray who was very helpful and a very good instructor. Only 3 lifts and a handful of runs were open because there was not enough snow. Except for the wind, the conditions were okay. For beginners, there were plenty of runs, but not very much for more experienced skiers. Saturday brought better ski conditions, but the road to the resort was treacherous following a few inches of snow. We didn't have chains, so we had to take a shuttle up the mountain. Because of the limited number of lifts open and the weekend, the resort was busting at the seams. Lift lines were long; lift #2 was stopped every few minutes because it was so difficult to get on and off and many were falling. Also, there was no system for pairing up singles, so the lines were even longer and moved even slower than needed. The ski runs were crowded with snow boarders and skiiers, and the lodge was packed. Lines for food and drink were 30 minutes or more. It was barely a pleasant experience. We only skied until 2 pm because the shuttle did not have enough room on the later bus. (More shuttles are needed and more frequently). I was so frustrated with the crowds and the lack of skiiable terrain that I was done anyway. We did not even bother to ski on Sunday because of the crowds. Monday was our last day, and lift 2 was open to the top of the mountain. This helped some to give more terrain for the crowd. Unfortunately, the crowds were still awful – the skiing was barely enjoyable. Overall, the staff at the resort were friendly enough, but the customer service was not as good as we have had at other ski resorts. Ski Apache is a good value, and would have been fine if there was more snow. I would not plan a trip around Christmas there again, though, because of the uncertainty of the snow. I would rather spend more and know that there is good snow, especially for a holiday ski trip. However, I would visit later in the season and with the family because of the value, location, and good skiing for beginners and kids.