Let me explain.....

by: higmania - Dec 27, 2011

Pros: Location

Cons: Crowded afternoons

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2011

I am a Siera/Rocky skier. My home hill is Winter Park and I ski Tahoe every year in between small trips to various rocks. That being my norm...I decided to kick off the season early this year (mainly because no one else has snow) and I went to Apache to knock the cobwebs off.

Boy was I surprised! Great little hill, wonderful snow, and a very appeasing staff. I stayed in the valley all morning cutting up the well done groomers until my legs were back and then I was off plowing through pow stashes ALL DAY LONG. The little valley stays reasonably quiet due what I assume is a large base of beginners at this hill. There were a few patches of unmarked rocks in the middle of a few runs but you'd have to be blind or stupid to hit them (should be long gone after the storm) I came down for a bite to eat and a beer and it was like a beehive! I quickly ate and headed back up to the "steeps".

Speaking of terrain, this place is a great place to get your start on the season. Nothing here will gobble up a good adv. skier, easy to navigate, great off piste pow stashes if you aren't afraid to go after them. Only trouble was unaware newbs crossing the black runs on a criss-cross green. They need some signs to warn them to check-up before crossing those blacks. I almost plowed a group of ducklings as they pied across Terrible.

All in all I gave it four stars for what it is, not compared to other mountains as that is totally unfair. Apache is a great place to get some practice in while the rest of the Rockies and Sieras play catch up with the snowfall. I will be back this weekend to take advantage of the new snow and am genuinely excited. I am going to try out the bowl and see how much more Apache's charm can impress me.