Great for some not others.

by: eriwilnel - Jan 10, 2013

Pros: Lodge location ski 50 yrds to copper

Cons: Snow, Variety

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2012

Red river would be a great little resort for beginners. I cant believe one of the reviewers said this mountain is to challenging! The place is only open to 70% trails if your lucky. If you want to learn to ski ICE and ROCK this is the place for you. The more challenging runs were all closed with hardly any snow.. (I know they cannot control mother nature). You can ski every open run multiple times in one day. The food was pretty good, the locals were ok. Had to add a snowmoblile tour to one day to keep it interesting. Mule deer come right through the town and seem almost tamed. I was told Red River would not disappoint by a co worker. Apparantly my co worker has not skied many top notch resorts. The only soft powder to be found was in the fields on the snow mobile tour. The snow machines were running all night just to keep this place half open. The beverages were good, the accomodations were good, but If you go to a ski resort to SKI this is hardly the place. Felt more like a relaxing get away than a ski adventure. You can ski here and lodge here for 3 day pretty cheap, but believe me you get what you pay for here. I wish I could give a review having skied it in high snow levels. Even then it just doesnt seem like Red River would be to much to boast about. Ski Colorado. There are resorts in Colorado with comparable prices and way better skiing. Wolf Creek and purgatory come to mind, which are only about 2.5 hrs north. Its worth it trust me. I will not ski New Mexico again, god bless the people there they are nice but snow seems to avoid the ski resorts. Good for first time skiers. intermediate and advanced skiers should avoid Red River.