by: octonovem - 24th January 2012

uncrowded off peak days
poor/no grooming

Our family (2 middle age parents, 2 pre-teen kids) dropped by AF for a single day of skiing on our way home(Texas) from three days skiing at Purgatory/Durango Mountain. My wife suffers from a medical condition which keeps her on shorter green runs so we needed to determine if AF was suitable. (BTW, Purg's lower "learner" section is almost perfect for her) It snowed about a half inch the night before our ski day. I suspect that AF management decided to call this dusting of snow "powder" and forego grooming. The crusty/icy conditions turned what could have been a great day into a marginal one. My recent (last 3 years) comparisons for "grooming" are: Purg, Red River, and Sipapu. Even lowly Sipapu manages to break up the icy crust and fluff up the packed down snow, but apparently not AF. Had the snow conditions been equivalent to Purg, I would've written a glowing review of AF's trails/lifts/etc, and given it high marks for beginner/intermediate trails. In other areas, my general impression of AFResort is this: they do not understand that they are in the hospitality business. Hospitality is an attitude, not a condition so it's hard to give exact examples but I just didn't get the feeling from most AF employees that they were glad I was there. Additionally, I will echo most other reviewers and mention the lack of/poor accommodations, lack of food, lack of town in general. Oh yeah, the parking lot is muddy, and they refuse to allow skier drop off anywhere near the base. A skier drop off area near the base would be a small but significant sign that AF "takes care of it's guests" Looking to close on a positive note, I will repeat my assessment that the "heading home" trail is excellent for a smooth, no drama, trip down from the top of a mountain. The software forces one to make a "recommendation" before posting. I clicked newlyweds because they won't really miss the lack of entertainment/town. :-)