Love it...weather permitting

by: Harold Toes - Jul 20, 2010

Pros: Family friendly and fun

Cons: Snow could be better

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

I consider myself a very experienced skier...been everywhere from Ruidoso to Europe. When I was younger, I needed the challenge of Utah. When I was single, I preferred "resorts"..the ones with great nightlife like Aspen/Vail.

Now, I'm married with two kids...and we LOVE Angelfire. The skiing (weather permitting) is as good as anywhere I've been. It is far more "family friendly" than other places. Afterall, my kids aren't looking for glaciers, they just want to throw snowballs at me and mom...so Angelfire is perfect. The town is also friendly, unpretentious, and has a charm to it that is only found in New Mexico. Skiing is more than adequate and, if you just need to, you can always drive to nearby Taos (about an hour away) for some of the most challenging skiing in the U.S.

Angelfire's ONLY downside is that snow can be scarce...and we all know "man-made" snow is no substitute. You have to get a little lucky and hope for a snow before you go. New Mexico has very comfortable Winter skiing (Spring-like temps compared to everywhere else), so don't plan on any late-Spring skiing...besides, it is time to go fishing on nearby Eagles Nest Lake by then.