Mountain Creek Resort Review

by: rickrobin - Dec 28, 2007

Date Visited: Dec 28, 2007

Last season I wrote a scathing review (if I do say so myself) of MC, and, if anything, it wasn't scathing enough.

But that was then. There's a persistent rumor that Intrawest has sold the place. Their logo remains on the web site, and there are no obvious signs of this, but I'll tell you - before I even heard this, it was apparent to me that something had seriously changed, and very much to the better: The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful; the pass prices were, like - fair?! they're making snow so diligently that even with weeks of rain and no snow, they're opening more trails - and the coverage on those trails is GOOOD. And they're all open all day during the week - I mean, it's 180 degrees around from last year. I'm so cynical about most everything these days, I never expected this, and man, I am grateful. The place is still going to be a zoo on weekends - can't help that. But they gave the boarders a huge park on South peak, and it's bound to improve the mix situation. (And no more extra charge, either.) I mean, you can just feel that the whole vibe is changed to one of intelligence and earnestness.

Fact is, the 4 peak breadth of the place makes up quite a bit for the modest vertical, so that when it's completely open it actually has almost a big mountain feel. It can get crusty, but that's not "ice," kids; actual ice there is rare. The food is still overpriced crap, and the main lodge is still a temporary structure with carpeting that's, well... frightening; but I bet they'll fix this stuff as soon as they can now.

Anyway, MC can be amazingly good, and with this new crew it seems well worth supporting, so far. To whomever is responsible - thank you, man! Yes Virginia, there is a sanity clause!