More like Creek Ice Skating

by: supafobb - Jan 18, 2012

Pros: Close to NY, cheap (with triple-play or resolution pack)

Cons: Crowded, douchebags (well, it's Jersey)

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2012

The Horizon trail is fun if you get there early, but in the afternoon, it's littered with a dangerous mix of beginners who sit around at random places (instead of courteously staying to the side) and wannabe-daredevils who don't know how to stop. The atmosphere and attitude can be as bad as a Jersey shore bar.

Strangely, Red Rock and Doe Run trails were nearly empty, giving me a more relaxing ride. This is my first season snowboarding and I'm glad I've progressed enough to feel very comfortable on blue trails, so there's no reason to stick to Horizon.

Of course, I'm sure every day is different and that particular day could've been a fluke (Sat, Jan 14). Also, it was incredibly icy that day, which brings me to say that I'm a little disappointed in the reports, or lack of it concerning the 1/2" of snow covering a the layer of solid ice. By the end of the day, most of the snow was wiped out, and spills were more painful.

Again, I'm new to boarding (Day 11 so far) although even conditions like this didn't keep me from having fun. I love the sport and we all need to learn on variable terrain, so you can't have your cake and eat it. But for now, I'm headed north.