by: SmedleyUnderfoot - 19th February 2010

Close to the city, well groomed.
Chock full of yahoos and no adult supervision

Went there with the fam. Let me start by saying my wife and I are excellent skiers, we have no problems doing blacks and doubles out west. My son is five, he just did his first east coast black this year, but he takes it easy and he's small. Vernon Valley was full of yahoos years ago when I grew up skiing there. I have no idea why I thought it would be different now. When we went this year the trails, terrain and lifts were serviceable. The food was the worst. The big problem however was the utter lack of management of the crowds. They've fenced off the old base run into a bunny-hill safe zone, forcing EVERYONE onto one narrow trail to get to the "gondola" and "lodge" (really just a tent city - what's up with that?) including the boarders coming from the terrain park side. So, you'd expect speed gates and ski patrol everywhere, right? Nope. Not a one And it was chock full of idiots just turning their boards straight down hill at terminal velocity. My son AND my wife got wiped out by these fools and I had at least two bounce off of me. Bottom line - if you're intermediate or with kids the place is downright dangerous - particularly on a weekend. I'd spend the time and head for another hill.