by: bostowyo - 25th February 2009

The Views! Easy parking. Afternoon deals.
Crowded

We went on the first weekend of February vacation. The afternoon lift ticket deal was $20 or $25 - a bargain! The conditions weren't great - not their fault, it just hadn't snowed in a while, had thawed and then refrozen. A lot of frozen granular made it pretty sketchy. But the trails are super picturesque. You get some amazing views over to Mount Washington. It's really gorgeous and you feel like you are getting that classic New England skiing experience. It was pretty crowded both in the lift lines and on some of the trails. The base lodge was also crowded and chaotic - it was vacation week after all. I wouldn't say I was overly impressed with the aesthetics of the base lodge - it was more utilitarian. Looked like there was the typical greasy food available in the cafeteria and very few local brews at the bar I went to. The ski school area seemed really cramped. The lift serving the beginner slope broke down several times while we were there and no one seemed to be helping out the beginners getting on the lift so they kept messing up and slowing it down. Also, there seemed to be a lot of aggro skiers out on the trails skiing very fast. I don't have kids but those things made me think this place isn't too family friendly. There was definitely a contingent of people that think they are hardcore because they ski like maniacs and then pound Coors Lite at the bar apres ski. But maybe they were just yahoos up for the vacation week and not the usual crowd. I would definitely go back to Wildcat on a quieter weekend when there was some recent snow because the trails were really gorgeous and long and I think I would enjoy them when they weren't so icy.