by: James - 16th January 2011

6 person Lift, Large Lodge, Lift Lines Wait
Ticket Price, Snow Coverage, Lift Line Organization

I skied at Ragged this past weekend, Ive been there a few times before in past years and enjoyed it but after this most recent visit, I can only say that the mountain and management should be embarassed by what I saw. This mountain has the potential to be a great resort, but I can only shake my head at how the mountian is managed / marketed. There are some great aspects to the mountain. It has a great lodge, timber framed, wide open 2 floors and a bar upstairs, as well a brick fired pizzeria. The only 6 person lift in NH, that gets you to the summit it about 4 minutes flat. The mountian is located in rural Danbury, there are no condos or hotels in the area so crowds are limited, even on the weekends. The most frustrating thing to me about this mountain was the amount of open terrain compared to what was advertised as being open. I had a conversation with other skiers who were very upset as well. The mountain was advertised as having 36 of 45 trails open. But in actuality, there is a total of about 20-25 actual trails that were open. I'm aware that exaggerating the amount of trails mountains have open or in total is common practice, every mountain does it in one shape or another, and skiers to an extent will accept this, but Ragged takes it to a whole new level. One of the first things I noticed was that since, my last visit, the total trail count had jumped by about 10 trails, but upon further review, i noticed that no new trails have been cut.There are numerous trails, that I and most skiers would consider as a single trail, that have no merges and no ways to access another trail, but Ragged has divided them into upper, middle and lower, essentially making one trail into three. A few areas that were originally merely cut throughs for groomers to access trail to trail are now trails themselves, even though they are only 75 ft long. The terrain park which is located on one trail, is divided into 3 trails. Frustrating to take 6 runs and realize youve skied every "trail" on the mountain. Even more annoying was that half of the trails were in no shape to be open, it appeared that after the latest storm that dropped a foot of snow, the mountain opened many trails, but never bothered to groomed them. For the first 20 people to go down it was probably great, but after that they were moguls and had bare rocks and grass showing everywhere, but were left opened. Basically, many others and myself felt deceived by what this mountain had to offer. After paying $68! for a day ticket I couldnt believe that someone hasnt declared shenanigans on Ragged. After this experience I probably will not visit Ragged again in the near future, simply because, for the same money, i can go to any other close mountain and get a much better experience. I hope the mountain succeeds but I can only hope that Ragged starts to realize that manipulating trail names just to make it seem like a bigger mountain or make it seem like it has more terrain open may bring more skiers once, but as for myself, i cant be fooled twice. Its a short sighted business move that may make some extra money in the beginning but will aggravate many skiers and riders to the point where they will feel either cheated or that it just was not worth the money and not return.