by: WilleA - 25th January 2009

Near Boston, Good Snow, Good Trails
Poor Customer Service, crowds, focus on boarders

I agree with Loonatic. I have skied at Loon regularly for 8-9 years. l have had a various season passes for at least 6 years. The South Mountain is a great edition but there has been a clear change in the mountain's attitude. When Boyne took over all the many familiar staff faces on the mountain disappeared. There is a clear decline in focus on the skier/guest. For new and young skiers there was comfort in knowing that a yellow jacketed ambassador could be found anywhere on the mountain. In the past two years I can ski a full day and see 5 if I am lucky. Season pass holders have had pass benefits reduced every year. The blackout dates on the silver and bronze passes are changed year to year with no rhyme or reason. The discount for a passholder on blackout days is still higher than skiing at an other hill for the day. Cost of food remains a bit high, and from a value perspective, no longer feels like it is worth the premium. In contrast, on a recent black-out day we went to another "hill" off of Rt 93 and had a great day. The ambassador who we met in the parking lot, found us in the lodge during lunch and gave us free passes to come back another day. This would never happen at Loon. I love the place, but for the first time, I feel like I am being taken advantage of.