good mountain for any type of riding/skiing

by: bfromb - Jan 10, 2013

Pros: terrain, lifts, lodges

Cons: none

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2013

Finally got around to riding loon, o had heard good things but for some reason had thought it was all hype. Well I was wrong, the experience indeed matched up to what friends had told me. Showed up a bit late and got on the mountain about 10am. Went with a friend who informed me that north peak is the less crowded and wind slapped peak so we made out way from south peak to north peak. From there me and my friend rode north peak, which has some enjoyable blues and a few good blacks. Snow was pretty good considering it hadnt snowed any considerable amount in a week, we stayed along the edges of the trails and had fun with what had piled up over the course of the day. Not much as far as lines go considering it was a Saturday, and the lifties seemed to keep everything running smoothly which was cool. Stopped in at north peaks base lodge which was somewhat crowded but a seat did open up after 10min or so, and the staff Working the registers and the food counter were really friendly and attentive. After a break we made our way over to loon peak for a few runs and then made our way over to south peak for a final run. On south peak we hit ripsaw, loon's double black. It was pretty mellow at first but delivered with a pretty steep pitch after a tree island. While the a bit icey (this is new England I expect ice) a quick traverse left found decent snow and had no problem holding an edge. After the steep portion the trail mellows again. If it weren't for the steep portion I doubt this would be a double black, however said portion did give me brief pause and was in my eyes was worthy of a double black for this region especial considering there's way down from there other than that or a glade.
overall experience here wad a good one, the mountain had a fair mix of trails for most styles of riding/skiing, and while I don't ride park much and didn't visit the park during this trip, I have heard alot about loon and its parks being some of the best in the region. Combine the terrain with the staff and you have a great mountain. I gave three stars for night life because I don't do the nightlife thing and hence don't know what they have to offer.

all and all great experience, will definitely be back.