by: Keith - 7th March 2011

Snow, Grooming, Lack of lift lines
Lack of steeps, Trails all seem the same, Price

Visited Loon on 3/3/11 for a day trip because the forecast was for bright sunshine and colds temps. That’s exactly what we got and it made for one of my best days on mountain all year! They had just received 17” of new powder and the mountain was groomed to perfection. Bump lovers would have been a bit out of luck because most things were buffed out, but I had my GS race skis for the day and was just looking to let them run so it was perfect for me. Started off the day on the North Peak trails and skied with the sun the rest of the day. Longest lift line I waited in all day was 6mins for the gondola right after lunch other than that we were pulling 13min loops on the quads. Only major complaint for the day was the lack of distinction between most of the trails on Loon Peak. It had been several years since my last trip to Loon and I really didn’t remember all the blues to be so vanilla and indistinguishable from each other. Nothing on this mountain will really push the advanced skier, but it does make for a great family resort. Keep in mind that this was a midweek trip post feb vacation weeks so the mountain was deserted, and I could easily see where weekend crowds could make this place far less fun. But if you are looking for a great midweek day trip this is the place.