by: SnoBrdRider301 - 3rd March 2009

Close to Lg E Coast cities, Varied terrain, Affordable
Somewhat small area, Needs more than a

I rode Gunstock yesterday while it was snowing (and had been all night the prior night). The snow was truly FANTASTIC!! I learned to ski out west (many, many moons ago) and spent several seasons skiing Rocky Mountain Powder. The conditions yesterday (3/2/09) were honestly like skiing out west!! I believe the final tally of the fresh snow was 12" + inches!! Gunstock is an easy to get to - abotut 45 minutes from central NH but totally worth the drive! I learned how to board at Gunstock (yes, I took up boarding in my mid-40's) and their instructors are great!! I would highly recommend them and if you want to learn to board - no matter where you are - TAKE A LESSON FIRST!! Yes, you WILL fall - A LOT - but once it "clicks" it is awesome!! I haven't been on my skis since I learned how to board (Feb 2008). Gunstock will NEVER be confused with Whistler/Blackcomb (which is just incomprehensible - beautiful, large, and self explanatory why they are hosting the next Olympics!!) but for a local, close, affordable area with fantastic conditions and varied terrain - it can't be beat!! Also, they have night skiing 5 nights a week and plenty of runs open at night with good lighting! The view from the top on a clear day is great as well (overlooks Lake Winnipesauke). So, my question is - why would anyone spend the extra time and money going to "The White's" when one can go to Gunstock and have just as much fun, on absolutely awesome conditions (right now anyway), and leave with some money left in your pockets (be sure to keep them zipped so you won't loose the money you saved!!)??? :) Ride on!!! Explanation of stars: Family: Self explanatory Downhill: As above, it's NOT Whistler/Blackcomb Terrain Pk: Ditto - Downhill Nightlife: Only one pub on site. Quite a drive to any other(s)